How to File a Complaint against Tricon Residential

Camila Lopez - Landlord - August 29, 2022

People Clerk helps you with your small claims court lawsuit.

Get Started


    Tricon Residential is a housing and apartment rental company that operates in 11 states including California, Texas, and Florida. 

    This article covers common types of complaints against Tricon Residential, how to contact Tricon Residential Customer Service, and how to sue Tricon Residential in small claims court.

    Types of Customer Complaints Against Tricon Residential

    At the time of this article being written, Tricon Residential faced 188 Better Business Bureau (BBB) complaints; there were also 176 customer reviews, giving Tricon Residential a 1.49/5 rating. Here are some of the common customer complaints against Tricon Residential:

    • Assigning unfair and wrong late fees

    • Fees added to account due to errors in their system

    • Issues with vacating and termination of lease

    • Holding of security deposit

    • Menacing notices regarding rent that was in fact paid on time

    How to Reach Tricon Residential Customer Service

    Before you sue Tricon Residential in small claims court try contacting Tricon Residential customer support to try and resolve your problem out of court. 

    Tricon Residential customer service number: 855 676 1680

    Other ways to reach Tricon Residential customer service:

    • Tricon Residential Facebook: TriconResidential.Home

    • Tricon Residential Twitter: @TriconAH

    • Tricon Residential phone number: 844 874 2661

    Tricon Residential customer service information:

    • Tricon Residential service hours: 24 hours a day

    • Tricon Residential address: 15771 Red Hill Ave, Tustin, CA 92780

    How to file a complaint with the BBB against Tricon Residential

    What is the BBB?

    The BBB, Better Business Bureau, is a non-profit that serves as an intermediary between businesses such as Tricon Residential and consumers.

    Read More: How to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)

    How to file a complaint against Tricon Residential with the BBB

    1. Go to the Better Business Bureau website.

    2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button “Start Your  Complaint.”

    What to Expect Once you Submit your Complaint to the BBB

    • The BBB will forward your complaint to Tricon Residential within 2 business days.

    • Tricon Residential will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made.

    • You will be notified of Tricon’s response when the BBB receives it (or notified that they received no response).

    • Complaints against Tricon Residential are usually closed within 30 business days.

    Send a Demand Letter to Tricon Residential

    You may also want to send a demand letter to Tricon Residential so that you are taken more seriously. A demand letter is a letter that outlines your complaint against Tricon Residential. You can mail the letter to their headquarters.  

    Here is what you may want to consider including in your demand letter:

    • How much money Tricon Residential owes you

    • Why they owe you money

    • How you calculated how much they owe you

    • 7-14 days for them to respond to your letter

    Steps to Suing Tricon Residential in Small Claims Court

    Here is an overview of how to sue Tricon Residential in small claims court:

    Step 1: Prepare and File the Lawsuit 

    Step 2: Notify Tricon Residential about the small claims lawsuit by serving them correctly 

    Step 3: Prepare for your small claims hearing against Tricon Residential

    Step 1: Prepare and file the lawsuit

    • Prepare the lawsuit using the proper form, this is usually available for download on your local small claims court website.

    • The court will want to know why you are suing Tricon Residential, how much are you suing Tricon Residential for, and finally how you calculated the amount you are suing Tricon Residential for.

    • You will need to search for the correct legal name (legal entity name) Tricon Residential uses in your state on the Secretary of State website for your state. 

    • File the lawsuit. There are several ways you can file the lawsuit (1) in person at your local small claims court, (2) by mail (3) electronically (not available in all courts), (4) by fax (not available in all courts).

    Step 2: Notify Tricon Residential about the small claims lawsuit

    • Once the court returns the filed lawsuit to you, the next step is to serve Tricon Residential (serving means to notify Tricon Residential that they have been sued).

    • There are different rules on how to serve a company in each state so make sure you review the rules for serving. In many states you will need to serve the “agent for service of process” that Tricon Residential selects in each state. This is usually a company or person that is authorized by Tricon Residential to receive lawsuit documents on its behalf. 

    • To serve the small claims court lawsuit on Tricon Residential you must serve their "Agent for Service of Process." This is a company that Tricon Residential has selected to receive lawsuits on their behalf. ‍

    • Always make sure to confirm with the court if there are any additional filings you need to complete and file after you have served Tricon Residential. 

    Step 3: Prepare your small claims hearing

    • Prepare your statement for the judge. Be prepared to tell the judge why you are suing Tricon Residential.

    •  Prepare your evidence. This is one of the most important steps to winning a small claims lawsuit! Evidence like screenshots, emails, and pictures, should be brought to the hearing (you should make a copy for yourself, the judge, and Tricon Residential).

    Your evidence might include: 

    • Emails with Tricon Residential representatives regarding your security deposit. 

    • Pictures of your apartment when you moved out. 

    • Other similar complaints other Tricon Residential customers may have had.


    Camila Lopez

    Chief Legal Architect & Co-Founder @ People Clerk. Camila holds a law degree and is a certified mediator. Her passion is breaking down complicated legal processes so that people without an attorney can get justice.

    Subscribe for Small Claims Tips